Green Ocean Front Vacation Rental
Located at the widest part of the northend of Virginia Beach, Virginia, this family rental sleeps 15 in five bedrooms with 2 full spa-like baths plus 3 half baths and an outdoor shower.
Sandswept was designed by local architect, Herbert Smith, and inspired by the Norfolk residency of Frank Lloyd Wright in 1953. It was lovingly renovated in 2006 to its former glory and with the latest in energy efficiency and green building per Energy Star and LEED ReGreen standards.
Its Wrightian features include:
- Wide horizontal design with large windows to bring the outdoors in. Large overhangs keep the summer sun out & let the winter sun in.
- Patios on the east and west create transitional spaces from outside to indoors, with the slate floor continuing into the entry hallway.
- Features loved by FLW such as cork floors and a prominent fireplace. Original birch window & door trim, paneling, knotty pine cabinets, iron hinges & interior doors were restored & reused.
Sandswept is listed on the City of Virginia Beach Historic Register. Click here for more photos.
- Carbon neutral: Solar photovoltaic system w/net metering & Geothermal heat pumps provide heat and air conditioning
Sandswept is featured on Vacation Rental by Owner.com
- Solar and wind clothes dryer folds against wall when not in use.
- Sealed crawl space with NAS crawl space exhaust system
- Astronomically controlled computer automatically closes sun shades to keep out hot sun.
- LED, 12 volt & CFL lighting throughout
- Original birch window & door trim, paneling, knotty pine cabinets, iron hinges & interior doors restored & reused.
- Natural, low VOC, biodegradable flooring – Marmoleum, cork & cellulose carpet runner
- Low VOC paint
- 420 gallon system of rainwater harvesting & Water Sense toilets conserve water.
- Official Backyard Wildlife Habitat registered with National Wildlife Federation provides food, water & cover for wildlife, especially butterflies & birds.